6/01/2011

Take-out Style Orange Chicken

Well my attempt at doing anything productive today was pretty much a flop. I take that back, I did write a couple of articles for TextBroker, got some stuff done for starting school next week, did some laundry and made dinner. That's about it. I didn't work out at all but I definitely will tomorrow. I did make some pretty awesome orange chicken in the crockpot, Meagan asked for the recipe so here it is.


I will be the first to admit that I am NOT much of a cook. I have a lot of hobbies/talents and honestly cooking is just not one of them. My grandma used to tell me that I would never get a man unless I learned how to cook. So this is what I did.. I married a man who loves to cook. Guess I showed her. =P Unfortunately my husband makes a gigantic mess whenever he cooks (although the food is delicious) so if I don't feel like cleaning a lot I have to cook. A slow cooker makes that 100x easier. I just bought one (my old one broke) and I am loving it. I got the recipe for orange chicken from this blog. I pretty much followed her recipe but changed it just a little.


3 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces (I used the free-range antibiotic free variety)
flour used for browning chicken
olive oil used for browning chicken (I used organic)
a small amount of salt (can you tell that I hate measurements??)
1/2 can of frozen orange juice concentrate
4 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons ketchup (I used organic)


Coat chicken in flour and brown in a pan with the olive oil. Combine the other ingredients into a sauce and stir with a whisk. I added more sugar and less ketchup than in the original recipe, I also used more than 1/2 a can of OJ but that was an accident.  Cook on low for 5-6 hours. I am pretty sure you aren't supposed to open a crockpot while it's cooking but even on low mine started to burn a little bit after about 4 hours so I suggest that you DO stir it every half hour or so. Maybe my Crockpot just sucks? It's likely. I served this over (organic) brown rice. 


It was pretty good! On the blog it says that pulp free OJ is best because pulp can be bitter and I would have to agree. I couldn't find pulp free but will look harder next time. I will also add more ingredients next time because I felt like it needed something, maybe something to make it a little bit spicy. Kainan wasn't a fan, but lately if it's not a dinosaur shaped chicken nugget he isn't interested.. I hope that is just a phase!





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Hot Sonakshi Sinha, Car Price in India